The beauty of nature inspired me. The carelessness of our culture bothered me.
“Sustainable” is a word we hear a lot these days. It feels like it has gone from being a good practice to an overused marketing tool. We have become numb to the real spirit of sustainability. My goal is to take care of creation as an innate practice and not because I am reminded to do so.
I was born and raised in the Seattle area. I have been inspired by natures beauty since I can remember. Whether innate or taught, I have an awareness and reverence for our environment. My family frequently hiked the Cascades and Olympics. I cherish the time I spent sitting on massive granite boulders, studying the sculpted hillsides and absorbing the sound of a babbling brook. My father gave our family a strong appreciation for our environment and the raw beauty of nature. As a child I was stunned to see a McDonald's bag flung from a car window spoiling the natural roadside beauty. Or seeing oil coating the asphalt in a parking lot and thinking "that can't be good for the fish."
Click To Enlarge
Our landscape philosophy focuses on "The intelligent use of nature." This relates to the conscious, thought out application of natures beauty to functional human space. We build all styles of landscapes from natural, traditional and modern. No matter your style preference, our goal is that, when completed, it will look as if it is a part of nature.
The intelligent use of nature also relates to environmental sustainability. Sustainability, as defined by Dictionary.com is, "the quality of not being harmful to the environment or depleting natural resources, and thereby supporting long-term ecological balance." We practice sustainability by:
- Sculpting ground by using the natural terrain while solving drainage and erosion challenges.
- We use the foundation of the earth itself, and natural materials to build pathways, stairways, and patios.
- We are horticulturally committed to native northwest plants and where they will be planted thrive as the grow.
- We recycle concrete, sod, soil, boulders, and any plastics and metals found on site are recycled or salvaged.
- We re-use old wood or recycle it and grind brush and other organic material to make compost.
- Our topsoil provider custom mixes organic material into our soil for optimal plant health.
- We recycle our office supplies and business materials.
At Reynolds Landscape we create sustainable landscapes with an intimate knowledge of our Northwest environment. Our landscape designs demonstrate a clear understanding and belief in working with nature not against it. Talented, experienced installers build every landscape with passion and care.
"Sustainable" may be overused and misused, but at Reynolds Landscape, we are committed to not only sustaining, but intelligently improving a sustainable environment on every piece of property our clients entrust us with. It is in our DNA. It is who we are.
At Reynolds Landscape our values are based on the highest work, business, and personal ethics.
- We maintain good control of our family business. We were founded in 1987 and have been owned, operated and managed since our first day in business by Jim Reynolds.
- We are members of local trade associations and stay up to date on techniques, sustainability and the latest materials and garden plants.
- Our crews are tenured employees with excellent communication skills, who take pride in their work. Cumulatively, we have over 70 years of field experience.
- We only work with premium soil for optimal plant health and drainage properties. This investment in better soil ALWAYS pays for itself. Additionally, we work with local nurseries to procure the best plant material available.
- Our skilled and faithful employees allow us to carry out most of our work in-house. We only subcontract work when we feel other craftsmen will enhance and expedite your landscape project.
- We back up all of our work with a minimum of a one year guarantee.
- We intuitively practice sustainability and our gardens get better with age.
- Jim Reynolds, the owner, has pledged to never be too busy to respond to a customer need.
- Our customers become our friends and we value the ongoing relationships we establish.
- Our mission statement: To create landscapes that reveal natures best while adding function and beauty to fulfill our customers outdoor living dreams.
Owner & Founder